Monitoring radioactive materials is a significant problem in many fields. The Detector Array determines location of radiation emitters in an area by the temporal evolution of the count rate signal from a radiation sensor read-out by supporting electronics systems during each full revolution of a specifically shaped motorized rotating shielding member. It is mounted to the ceiling or wall to monitor the activity of radioactive materials throughout the room. The device continually measures the spatial radiation field fingerprint and either compares it to the stored trusted template or sends it encrypted to a central decision making location. Upon statistically significant deviation from the template spatial fingerprint, either an alarm gets tripped (or the device stops sending cryptographically signed “still OK” messages), depending on security system architecture.
- U.S. Patent Nos. 9,881,708 and 9,978,469
- TRL 4: Basic technological components are integrated to establish that the pieces will work together.
Applications and Industries
- Any industry requiring radioactive materials that must be stored and/or monitored including government agencies handling specialized nuclear material, nuclear power industry, and medical nuclear imaging/radiopharmaceutical industry.
- Any industry concerned with nuclear terrorism, nuclear nonproliferation, or general transportation of nuclear material, including the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, or International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Universities and medical centers with test reactors and/or source materials.
- Detects gamma and neutron emissions in real time.
- Can be incorporated into existing security system.
- Eliminates the need for monitoring personnel.
- Real-time detection of material movement or material incident.
- Monitors materials through direct detection of gamma and neutron emission.
- Creates a 3D radiation map or “fingerprint” of the room/area.
- Adapts radiation “fingerprint” to movements made by a trusted authority.
- Signals alarm when movement occurs without trusted authority present.