Y-12 National Security Complex
The Extrans permeation measurement system is a customizable system for testing the behavior and uniformity of polymers and other materials. The system can be used to determine permeation rates using variable temperatures, total pressures, differential pressures, and mechanical deformations as well as adjustable concentration levels for gases and liquids. Extrans supports permeation testing from liquid-to-gas or from gas-to-gas phases.
- User-selected temperature and pressure ranges
- Balanced differential pressure manifold incorporating a back-pressure control valve and regulator
- Adaptable for different materials from sheet, thin pads, to tubes and bulk materials
- Programmable for repetitive or complex tasks
- Compact design
- U.S. Patent Nos. 7,325,439, 8,171,775, and 8,479,563
Technology Readiness Level:
- TRL 8: Technology has been proven to work in its final form and under expected conditions.
- Versatile — able to handle varying degrees of pressure and temperature
- Precise — accurately measures permeation rates
- Portable — can be used for field testing
- Effective — can induce stress in materials to determine the effect on permeation rates
Applications and Industries
- Container analysis and design for storage of food, munitions and moisture-reactive materials
- Materials analysis of conformal coatings for electrical circuit components used in marine, aerospace, defense and other critical applications
- Corrosion studies
- Coating, film and paint evaluation
Questions about licensing?
Contact OTCP@cns.doe.gov or visit our technology transfer website.