Site 300 User Facility: No

Visit Facility  
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by the Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC, for the Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration. It is situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore. Site 300 was established in 1955 as a non-nuclear explosives test facility to support Livermore Laboratory's national security mission. The site gets its name from the early days of Lawrence Livermore, when the main laboratory was called Site 200 and the test facility was Site 300 (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory was Site 100). Today, work at Site 300 supports the Laboratory's nuclear weapons program by assessing the operation of non-nuclear weapon components using hydrodynamic testing and advanced diagnostics, such as high-speed optics and X-ray radiography. These efforts support the nation's Stockpile Stewardship Program (SSP), which is designed to ensure the safety, security and reliability of the U.S. nuclear weapons stockpile