How to Partner

The Department of Energy's (DOE) national laboratories have decades of research and development experience. The resulting technologies and capabilities benefit to businesses of all sizes, universities, and non-profits through partnering mechanisms.

Types of Partnering Mechanisms

Strategic Partnership Project (SPP)
Work done for businesses and other non-federal entities using specialized or unique facilities or expertise.
Cooperative Research And Development Agreements (CRADA)
A lab and partner outside the federal government collaborate and share the results of a research and development project.
Agreements For Commercializing Technology (ACT)
Labs and a partner outside the federal government complete a project using specialized or unique facilities or expertise.
Technology Licensing Agreement
Businesses or other non-federal entities license lab technologies.
Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)
A lab and other entity agree to protect biological materials.
User Facility Agreements
Users may access facilities, specialized equipment, instrumentation, and personnel to conduct research.
Small Business Research and Development Programs
Small businesses collaborate with labs as a subcontractor.
Technical Assistance
Labs provide short-term assistance to organizations with problems requiring expertise not available commercially.

Ins and Outs of Agreements and Licenses

image of office of technology transitions contact Conner Prochaska
Director of Office of Technology Transitions

Every technology follows its own unique path and requires a variety of exchanges and partnerships to advance it along the development spectrum. DOE's office of Technology Transition provides support in each step of this process.

Contact Office of
Technology Transitions